RH Stellar Impression - September 27th 2012 - September 28th 2012
Stella was born sometime around 5am on the 27th of September. My step dad’s friend Roger had sent a picture to him and he had forwarded it to me. Waking up and seeing a picture of a foal got me incredibly excited. She looked IDENTICAL to her father, RH Big Impression. I could not wait to go out and meet this beautiful filly.
As the day went on, I grew more and more excited for my Mom and sister to get home so we could make a trip out to Roger’s to see the newest family member.
When we were about 15 minutes away from Roger’s house, our step dad called. We were shocked to find out that Cotah and Stella were not at Roger’s; they were in fact moved to a vet clinic not far from where he was. We weren’t completely informed of what was going on, and I grew more anxious to find out.
As we arrived at the clinic we learned that their visitation hours were over, but they were going to make an exception for us. Cotah and Stella were still in a treatment when we arrived and so we had to wait for them to be returned to the stalls.
A vet tech came out and explained the treatment they had just done on Stella as she had extremely low glucose levels and was also very dehydrated as she was not able to stand and nurse due to having contracted tendons in her front legs.
They then told us the procedure that they would do in order to help straighten her legs. They would have to put splint on her legs (that is the finished product in the picture) and someone would have to be with her almost 24/7 to be sure she wouldn’t hurt herself when attempting to get up in order to feed. The splints would be on for a month to start, and she would be reassessed after that period of time.
I spent a lot of time with little Stella, as Cotah was iffy with my mom and sister being around her after the sedative wore off. Stella was being a true fighter.
After spending a couple hours with the foal, it was decided that we should head home, but before they left they asked for my mom’s cell phone number in case they couldn’t get a hold of my step dad.
The whole trip home I was looking through the pictures on my camera smiling at this adorable little filly, thinking “wow, she’s mine”
Many hours after my visit I was going through the pictures on my computer and editing them in my room; I then started uploading these pictures to facebook as all my friends wanted to know how this little girl was doing. Right after the upload finished, I came out of my room and heard my mom on the phone, and I didn’t think much of it so I went to go do what I needed to do. As I made my way back to my room, she stopped me.
"Stella was put down."
My heart dropped. Tears started coming to my eyes.
"I’ll forward you the email the vet sent to Steve."
I opened the email to see the xrays that were done on Stella’s legs. Taylor, one of the vets added “You can see how the bones that make up the knees, the carpal bones, have incompletely ossified. These foals just can’t bear any weight on these small bones without crushing them and that is why prognosis is grave. I’m sorry again about the foal… at least with these radiographs we knew for sure that we were doing the right thing by putting the foal down. She would have been a permanently lame horse and likely in a lot of discomfort”
I cried the whole time I was reading the email. I couldn’t believe it.
I took comfort in knowing that Stella fought for us. She hung on with all her might.
The next day when I went to visit with the horses, I told my sister to grab Cotah so we could brush her and give her treats, but she couldn’t get anywhere near her. I slowly walked towards her, humming a calming tune. She came forward and nudged me with her nose. I hugged her close to me, and she instantly turned her head towards me as though she were hugging back.
Cotah and I have had a stronger bond ever since that day. It’s as though we had this mutual understanding. We both knew what it was like to lose someone we love.
I still think about Stella sometimes… I wonder what it would have been like to have her completely healthy and happy… How much fun she would be, because even though she couldn’t stand, she was such a funny, spunky, little foal. I love you and miss you Stella <3
Posted on Monday, 25 March
Tagged as: Horses Equine APHA Story Paint Quarter Horse Blaze Vet RH Stellar Impression Rest In Peace I Miss You I love you Horse Crying RIP ♥ Foal Filly
- theequine reblogged this from equine-love-151
- jagsanzey likes this
- tait101 reblogged this from equine-love-151
- serenahepps reblogged this from ridewesternfortheshowclothes
- serenahepps likes this
- tay-l0rr likes this
- thedreamofdreams reblogged this from equining
- themoonnsun reblogged this from sonadormolly
- shorterstirrups likes this
- equineadmirer likes this
- kemamar reblogged this from heels-down-hopes-up
- slytherinroman-from-nowhere likes this
- eyeheartlaughter likes this
- 0nelifestand08 likes this
- 8amdreamz likes this
- blondek223 likes this
- stick-it-to-da-man-eosis reblogged this from 3quus
- eventing-dreams likes this
- ihaveolympicdreams reblogged this from prospacecadet
- lorenarosee likes this
- lets-gallop-away-together likes this
- wavesoftheworld likes this
- prospacecadet reblogged this from elementalequestrian
- release-the-reins reblogged this from the-sherlocked-equestrian
- rageagainstthemachine3lves likes this
- thisisforthesnakes likes this
- thisisforthesnakes reblogged this from the-sherlocked-equestrian
- equinefeather likes this
- xvgcbyewi likes this
- headup-handsdown-andholdtight reblogged this from the-sherlocked-equestrian
- the-sherlocked-equestrian reblogged this from hoofbeatsandflyingchanges
- elementalequestrian reblogged this from heels-down-hopes-up
- neighven reblogged this from heels-down-hopes-up
- neighven likes this
- equestrianmark likes this
- heels-down-hopes-up reblogged this from monumental-moment
- the-equestrian-princess likes this
- monumental-moment reblogged this from equining
- 2punk4uu reblogged this from whenlifegetsbummpystartposting
- rebelwithtoomanycauses likes this
- sanitybecauseofhorses likes this
- reiningbeauty-bvb reblogged this from ridewesternfortheshowclothes
- jbw151 reblogged this from equine-love-151
- peace-love-and-barrelracing reblogged this from equining
- jaquelinegarza likes this
- sukidreamer reblogged this from ridewesternfortheshowclothes
- ahorse-of-course likes this
- horsecraycray reblogged this from 15handsandcounting
- horsecraycray likes this